How to choose jewelry?

How to choose jewelry?

Have you ever heard of the phrase that diamonds are every woman's best friend? As it turns out, this is less true now than it was a few years ago. More people choose other jewelry alternatives, focusing on quality adequate to the price.

This means that if you're buying jewelry, gold and diamonds shouldn't be your standard option. Before you decide to buy any jewelry, learn the basic ABC of this topic and make an informed decision.

1. Types of jewelry
We will present the most frequently chosen, not only by women, types of jewelry. Knowing the symbolism of each type will certainly make it easier for you to choose the right one. Regardless of whether you are planning a purchase for yourself or looking for the perfect gift.

A necklace is more than just a fashion accessory to complete your outfit and overall look. By emphasizing the delicate features of the neck, it symbolizes femininity and charm. Although it draws attention to the neckline, it does not mean sexuality at all.

Many people wear bracelets to show off their personality. Since bracelets can be made of various materials, in addition to metals, there are also those made of leather or fabric. Often, it is an element of jewelry that we notice in a person only after a while. Therefore, it is a great way to enhance the look or emphasize wealth in a more subtle way.

Your face is usually the first thing someone notices, which is why earrings have a special role to play. They emphasize your face and bring out your best features. Properly selected, they can modify the visual shape of the face. Although, you can also use them for purely aesthetic purposes. They can add color and personality to any outfit.

Rings have a strong cultural meaning around the world. The ring on the left ring finger is associated with romantic relationships. However, there is no reason not to wear rings on other fingers. They are a great way to capture the most important moments in life, such as your eighteenth birthday or graduation. Fashionable rings are also a great complement to the styling. They definitely attract attention to the hand, emphasizing the slenderness of the fingers.

2. Selection of jewelry material
Appearance and price are the two most important elements in choosing the right material for your jewelry. The most common materials used in the production of jewelry are gold and silver. However, it is worth being aware that there are a few more - platinum, titanium or stainless steel - learn about their properties.

Gold has three subcategories: pink, white and yellow. The only thing that really differs these three varieties of gold is what you can see at first glance - the color. It results from the addition of trace amounts of another metal. What you should pay attention to are carats. They allow you to determine the purity of the gold from which the jewelry was made. 24K is the highest carat grade because it stands for pure gold. 22K is next, which is 91.6% gold, with the remaining 8.4% of jewelry being made up of other metals. 18K is 75% gold, 14K is 58.5% gold, and 10K is 41.5% gold. The purer the gold jewelry, the more valuable it is. However, it is worth noting that gold is a soft and ductile metal, so 24k gold is the most susceptible to deformation. For this reason, 14K and 18K gold are the most preferred options.

925 sterling silver
Sterling silver is also a solid metal choice for jewelry. Silver is as long-lived as gold, but it may need cleaning from time to time to remove naturally occurring tarnish. When choosing silver jewelry, look for the 925 marking, which indicates the composition of silver. This means that jewelry is made of 92.5% silver, and the remaining 7.5% is an alloy of other metals. Silver is too soft a material, so it must be combined with other metals to strengthen its structure.

Platinum is the rarest and most durable metal. It is tougher and will not rust, corrode or tarnish. For this reason, it is the most popular among wedding rings and other jewelry that is intended for everyday use. This is also why it is more expensive than gold. This is a great option for those who are allergic to the nickel present in gold. Platinum jewelry should be 95% pure, with the remaining 5% being other similar platinum group metals such as iridium, palladium, and ruthenium.

Titanium is another durable choice as it does not corrode. It is also resistant to sweat, salt and high temperatures. This metal makes jewelry lighter. For these reasons, titanium is the best choice for those who lead an active lifestyle and are looking for jewelry that will look beautiful and let you forget about yourself at the same time.

Stainless steel

Stainless steel for a sturdy look and durability. It is much cheaper than titanium but is heavier and has trace amounts of nickel and iron. This may cause an allergic reaction in some people. Despite everything, it is the cheapest option and with proper treatment it can look just as beautiful.

Back to blog